Once, back when I was waiting tables, the restaurant ran out of ranch dressing. It was no fault of management. The supplier, who dropped off his order right before the lunch rush, brought double bleu cheese and no ranch. It was a Monday and we were coming off a busy weekend. Supplies were low. Before anyone had time to slip off to the local restaurant supplier, the lunch rush hit. No one had time to do anything except serve lunch. Of course, before lunch was anywhere near from over, we ran out of ranch. You would think we had taken up puppy beating. People were incredulous.
“What do you mean you’re out of ranch?”
“How can you be out of ranch?”
“You can’t be out of ranch!”
And so it went. I was well aware that ranch was the most popular of the dressings, but I had no idea how many people's existence depended on their daily dose of it. I was startled by how furiously they responded. Some slumped into sullenness as they consumed their food. Some treated me rudely for the remainder of their meal. Tips were definitely not up to par that lunch. As the shift ground on, hurried chatter around the service center indicated to me that I was not the only one experiencing this phenomenon. By the time lunch slowed down and someone was finally able to run out and procure some ranch, I had begun fanaticizing about what I would really love to say.
“What do mean you’re out of ranch? How can you be out of ranch?”
“It’s because of the ponies.”
“The what?!?”
“You know, ponies.”
“What!”
“Little horses. Go clop-clop. You know, ponies.”
Any further questioning, and I would stick to the pony excuse. Stay friendly, but act like they were the ones who just didn’t get was going on. I shared this fantasy with my fellow wait staff. For a while, when anything went wrong, we blamed the ponies. Is there something about ranch dressing that I don’t know?
Wednesday, August 29, 2007
What's the Deal with Ranch?
at
4:46 PM
Labels: What's the Deal with Ranch?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment