Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Shopping Cart Bullies

They are a menace. They fill an everyday activity with peril. They appear to be dead inside. They are (pause for effect) the shopping cart bullies. They zoom through the grocery store with no regard for the other humans also attempting to procure nourishment. They don’t make eye contact. They don’t alter their course. They just keep coming and you have to jump out of their way. Thanks to being nimble, I haven’t been struck but my cart has been rammed numerous times. Whenever these little “accidents” occur, the same thing happens. Nothing. Their eyes remain glazed over and they simply pretend nothing has occurred and wander off. Now, I’m not terribly concerned for the welfare of the cart. I’m just fascinated with the bully’s lack of response. Not an “Oops”, no eye contact, not even a shrug. Weird. Whenever possible, I use the basket. If I over stuff it, it gets a little awkward but keeps me far more mobile. I sometimes think about letting one of them hit and then wildly into a cookie display making as much noise as possible. I’m a little curious to see if I’ll see something flicker behind their dead eyes or if they’ll flee the scene. I haven’t tried it yet. I have too much respect for cookies.

No comments: