Friday, August 24, 2007

Jellyfish Horror

Once, when on vacation, I witnessed something that I believe will haunt me for the rest of my days. It was a lovely day at the beach. I was sprawled on a towel drying out after a long swim. A mother and her little boy came strolling down the beach. The boy looked about two and a half, maybe three. The small child erupted into the type of tantrum that’s common for kids of his age. I have no idea what he was upset about, but it was the mother’s response that will always freak me out. She picked up a jellyfish that had washed up on shore. Then she grabbed her child’s hand and pressed the invertebrate onto his palm. The level of the kids wailing increased to a tone of fear and pain. The mother picked him up and stormed down the beach.
I was speechless. For her to come up on the spot with such a twisted punishment completely floors me. I have often wondered what home life would be like with that monster. But even more chilling is what could she come up with if given time and proper motivation? I bet she’s a bureaucrat.

No comments: